The William Pitt Tavern Museum is located on the grounds of the Strawberry Banke Museum in Portsmouth’s historic “South End”. Housed on the second and third floors of the restored William Pitt Tavern, the museum focuses on Freemasonry and its role in American and New Hampshire history. The original tavern was founded by John Stavers in 1766, a member of St. John’s Lodge No.1 in Portsmouth. Over 240 years later, many of the volunteers who today staff the museum belong to that same lodge. The museum is also home to the William Pitt Tavern Lodge No. 1789, and the General William Whipple Military Lodge of New Hampshire.